The first half of 2016 has been a significant period for the Bermuda insurance sector.
The enhanced regulatory status of Solvency II has proven beneficial. Major insurance groups have started seeking approval for the Bermuda Monetary Authority to serve as the group supervisor under the Solvency II regime. In particular, XL Group plc announced that it will be redomiciling its parent company from Ireland to Bermuda. This is on the heels of last year’s new commercial insurer formations and Qatar Reinsurance’s redomicile to Bermuda. Looking ahead to the next six months of the year, we anticipate a continued increase in activity in the formation and licensing of new commercial insurers, as well as a rise in ILS activity with the formation of new cat bond issuers.
Inside this edition of our Bermuda Insurance Update, we feature commentary on legislative changes and market updates affecting the industry, as well as news and event highlights.
To continue reading this publication, please click here to download the PDF
- Beneficial interest insufficient to bring unfair prejudice proceedings
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration Anyone?
- Visiting Judge Appointed To The BVI Commercial Court
- Harneys ‘stands out across the board’ in latest IFLR 1000 law firm rankings
- Equiom acquires Heritage Trust Group and expands into Singapore and BVI